Here's a pic of his room before the big boy bed makeover.
I'm not going to lie, I shed a few tears taking down his crib.
I started by sketching some ideas. Originally my idea was to leave top open however my toddler requested a full tent. I did attempt an open top version - I'll post on this option later. See here.
After we primed the bed frame, we painted it a lovely grey colour.
(Para Paints - Fort Garry Grey (P2140-01).
Of course, we put the little guy to work which made him even more excited to get into his bed.
Ahh, if only this excitement for bed would last.
For the canopy I purchased two table clothes (One 60x60 for the sides and one 60x90 for the top), I also purchased 4 braided belts and velcro.
For the sides, I cut the 60x60 table cloth down the middle and hemmed the raw edge.
Then I folded it over the top beam of the bed and used velcro to secure it together (which makes it easy to take off for cleaning etc).
Then I closed the belts, glued them just under the buckle and cut them.
I added velcro to the top and bottom of the belts.
I threaded the belts through a small hole on each side of the table cloths. The velcro makes it easy for my toddler to take down the sides and reduces the risk of him hurting himself.
For the top canopy, I threaded fishing line through a rattan lamp shade and the middle of the 60x90 table cloth and hung the entire thing from the ceiling.
Again I used velcro on the top bed beams and on the inside of the table cloth to attach the top canopy.
This is one of my favourite IKEA hacks I've done to-date.
As for the little guy... he loves it.